Currently viewing: Supporting our communities
Supporting our communities
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
The Group is committed to uplifting the societies in which it operates through following sound employment practices and meeting the real needs of those communities.
Italtile continues to invest in South Africa and neighbouring countries in education, training and skills transfer through the Italtile training academy which has provided tiling, technical and business skills to numerous previously unemployed individuals.
Ad hoc contributions were also made to the following deserving causes:
- One School at a Time;
- Little Eden;
- World Wildlife Fund;
- Stop Rhino Poaching; and
- National Sea Rescue Institute.
HUMAN CAPITAL DEVELOPMENT
Italtile strives to be the employer of choice in its industry. The Group’s strategy is to recruit and retain the best people from South Africa’s diverse population base, and to ensure they are empowered, accountable for their actions and rewarded accordingly.
The Group’s goal is:
- To match the demographics of the organisation with the diverse markets in which it operates. To achieve this, a representative team is tasked with managing the employment equity plan and ensuring that targets are achieved;
- To employ a range of mechanisms to promote worker participation in the operational decision-making process;
- To continue to implement the profit incentive scheme instituted in 1990, whereby all members of staff share in the Group’s trading profits;
- To cultivate entrepreneurship within the Group by ensuring trading operations are franchised or in partnerships with the Group; and
- To evaluate and evolve training initiatives continuously to improve the skills level in the organisation.
The Italtile Foundation Trust
The Italtile Foundation Trust (“the Foundation”) is a Broad-Based Black Ownership Scheme, with the objective of carrying on public benefit activities in non-profit manner and with an altruistic and philanthropic intent, working towards the transformation and upliftment of previously disadvantaged communities. The Foundation accepts and deploys Social Economic Development donations in terms of the BBBEE legislation.
The Foundation’s distributions are towards public benefit activities relating to education, sport and conservation, and current projects include:
- A bursary programme sponsoring financially needy students with high potential, in collaboration with the University of Johannesburg and One School at a Time.
- Working with Dreamfields in setting up Dream Leagues in five-a-side football and mini-netball at schools in Thohoyandou and the Buffelshoek areas.
- Sponsorship of two Birdlife South Africa projects, namely the Bird Guide Training Programme and the Important Biodiversity Area Programme.
- Building sports fields at two schools in financially disadvantaged communities.
CONTRIBUTION TO SOUTH AFRICA’S GROSS DOMESTIC PRODUCT
Nelson Mandela’s dream of building a state-of-the-art, specialised paediatric facility to serve the children of South Africa was realised in December 2016 with the launch of the Nelson Mandela Children’s Hospital.
In support of this laudable initiative, Italtile Retail, in partnership with some of its key suppliers: Laufen, Idral, Atlas Concorde and Ceramic Industries – all leading manufacturers in their specialised areas of sanitaryware, brassware and tiles – supplied the hospital with R3,5 million worth of products. Throughout the project, the collaborative team emphasis was on expert service, high-quality sustainable products and ease of maintenance.
We are proud to be part of a great institution and a magnificent legacy.
TRAINING AND SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
CORPORATE SOCIAL INVESTMENT